View Larger Map   Bee Landing
18150 E 752 Rd
Humansville, MO 65674(417) 276-3730

19 Responses to “Contact Us”

1. Dave says:

Where do I buy the queen and her bees ?

2. Hi Dave,

You can read my blog post on the subject here http://beelanding.com/bee/getting-your-first-bee-colony-or-growing-your-apiary/

Good luck,

James

3. Bob says:

I built a top bar hive very similar to yours during last winter as a gift to a friend. She hasn’t populated it yet, so I don’t know how well it will work. I would like to see your hive and would like to start a colony here in Parkville, MO. Would you put me on your order list?

Bob

4. Hi Bob,

You are welcome to visit my apiary any time you want to make the trip to Stockton Lake.
    We are keeping up with the orders this time of year, however early spring I expect to get baked up. I recommended placing your order by fall, and you can find the hive listed at http://beelanding.com/bee/our-products/

Thanks, James

5. Erin says:

When is the best time to purchase your product in time for establishing a colony?

6. Hi Erin,

Today is the best time of corse :)

No really. It is too late this year to buy bees, so it will be spring before you can populate the hive, however late winter and spring i will likely be backlogged. I would recommend getting the hive by fall.

thanks, James

7. randall rhodes says:

James:
    I am a first year beekeeper with a well populated top bar hive. I am just worried about feeding them thru the winter months. any suggestions or products?
    thank you!

8. Randall,

if you are worried about them having enough, then I would recommend not harvesting any honey until next spring just to be safe. What they will usually do is cut back on the brood, and back fill with honey in the late summer. If your hive is well populated, I don’t think you need to worry about winter starvation.
    Good luck, and let me know how it works out.

James

9. Mark Edwards says:

I am interested in starting a hive, but I know nothing about it. Can you recommend a book on the subject?

-Mark

10. Mark,

I recommend my blogs of course. Also I think the best books for natural beekeeping are:

The bare foot beekeeper – I think it is a $5 download
    The complete idiots guide to beekeeping

Also you can sign up to my email list (from my home page) for pointers along the way

Good luck, James

11. Sasha says:

Hi James,
    Please advise how you harvest honey without destroing the comb? And why bees in Homestead Hive don’t need any treatment (especially againts varroa mites)?
    Cheers,
    Sasha

12. Hi Sasha,
    I don’t like to see chemicals administered to bees in any type of hive. Read my blogs to understand the details of my philosophy, but the gist of it is: A healthy colony can generally fend off pests just fine. I focus on allowing the colony to grow strong without artificial feed, medication, and over sized cells, and let the bees do the rest. Harvesting the honey is generally done by the crush and strain method and then rendering the wax to use in candle making etc, however I do sell a super that goes on the hive for those wanting to use standard frames for the honey harvest.
    Thanks, James

13. Julie Shaw says:

Hey James! We’ll miss you at our Ozarks Sustainability Fall Festival, but we wish you the best at the Mother Earth Fair!

-Julie and West Plains gang

14. Julie, I will miss you folks also. Maybe I can catch the spring fling.

15. Shirley Zanoni says:

You should read Gene Stratton Porter’s The Beekeeper. My grandmother gave the book to me to read. She also wrote The Harvester which is a favorite of mine (both may be hard to find). SZ

16. Thanks for the reference. I found one online and ordered it. Can’t wait to read.
    James

17. RICH ROE says:

monsanto
    Assessing the bizarre nature of this genetic engineering, a technique by which the maturing seed of a plant kills or terminates its own ability to reproduce or regenerate, the popular organizations around the world working for food security, environment, biodiversity, people’s health and other crucial areas tagged this adventurous result into genetic suicide as “terminator”. The name prevailed because it captured the imagination of the people around the world making them aware of the imminent danger of biological destruction. Because of its potential destructive capacity some people also called it “neutron bomb” for the biological world.

Terminators are no advance in agronomic achievement and indeed adds no value to agriculture. Its sole purpose is to force farmers to return back to the transnational corporations through the mediation of the commercial seed market every year. Seeds are genetically programmed to mature, but sterile. For the patent-holders, it is a biological guarantee that farmers are technologically forced to buy seed every planting season.

WHAT EFFECT DOES THE DESTRUCTIVE GENE HAVE ON THE BEE THAT CONSUMES THE POLLEN ? please publish

18. Rich,

I’m no scientist, and I’m sure there are plenty of scientist working for these conglomerate company’s who will assure us that there is no problem. however I am an observer of nature, and I think this GMO is a big mistake.
    As far as the effect on the bees….They bring pollen into the hive and mix it with an enzyme to ferment or pickle and then it becomes bee bread. Bee bread has over 8,000 species of microbial life forms, that I like to liken to the bacteria and flora in our colons that we could not live without. bees have been living in harmony with this finely balanced system for eons, So common sense tells me that if you genetically modify a plant, then you will effect every life form down the food chain.
    At BeeLanding we keep our bees in the Ozarks and they forage on wildflowers to avoid the pesticides and GMO pollen found on factory farms.
    For you more technically minded readers here is a link to an unfavorable study on GMO’s and honey bees. http://www.biobees.com/library/pesticides_GM_threats/transgenic_environmental_risk_assessment.pdf

19. Greg Whaley says:

Hello James,

I thoroughly enjoyed your presentations (attended both) given at Mother Earth News Fair in September, and am excited about switching over to top bar hives using natural beekeeping practices. I started beekeeping in Spring ‘09 through a class given by commercial beekeeper, so all of the medicating and chemical application and feeding practices were instilled in me. But after losing my hive following a treatment I administered for mite control, I’m more convinced of need to resort to natural practices. And I feel there is a shift occurring among hobbyist beekeepers to more naturaal approaches here in the area.

My question is I have all of this equipment from standard Langstroth hives. Can I adapt these to resemble top bar beekeeping?
    Also, i’m interested in your plans for your Homestead hive. I’m no carpenter, but I feel I can do some basic woodworking. You mention the wood you use is twice the thickness. Is that something I should be able to get locally (at Lowes or Home Depot store)?

Thanks & Merry Christmas,